Monday, September 03, 2007

Sad News: Jack Passes Away

A very very sad labor day weekend. Our mutt terrier, who was perfectly healthy Thursday morning, got some awful disease called AIHA (Autoimmune-Hemolytic-Anemia), in which his body started killing his own red blood cells. After 2 in-vain blood transfusions, we made the terribly gut-wrenching decision to put him to sleep Saturday night at 2am.



We met him on a beach outside of Puerto Vallerta. He was a mangy skinny street dog who neglected the meat we bought him so that he could follow us. Every morning we'd see him at a local convenience store and he'd come w/ us wherever we went. After a week of this, we were smitten and decided to bring him home. A vet's note and a traumatic flying experience later (we were kicked off 1 flight when his carrier didn't fit) and he had made it to Portland.


Maybe it was his story, or maybe just him, but although we only had him 2 1/2 years, he made quite an impression on us. We'll miss him a lot. I've really appreciated all the support we've gotten from friends and family. That's it for now, thank you for all of your positive thoughts.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

My heart aches for y'all.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Mead said...

Jack sounds -- and looks -- like he was quite a guy. What a character he must have been, adopting you like that. He must have been a very smart dog, too, to know his destiny was with you. I hope that can be a consolation, to remember that for the past 2 and half years you were able to give him a quality of life far beyond what he likely would have had where you found him.

My heart goes out to you.

11:42 pm  
Blogger Karin said...

Damn it. I hate that. That really sucks. (clearly I'm still in the anger stage of grief.)

I'm really sorry for you guys.

12:08 am  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

This just sucks. Jack was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

9:21 am  
Blogger Jenny! said...

I am so sorry! They are like kids and it will be a big hole in your hearts for a long time! Hopefully he didnt suffer too much!

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to hear about Jack. I'm not usually a dog person, but he was a total charmer. And the extended version of the story of "how we met Jack and got him to Portland," ideally told by both Marsha and Charlie after a glass of wine or two, is just one of my favorite first-person narratives of all time. I'm sorry Jack didn't get to enjoy the good life longer, because he certainly had it with you guys.

12:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only met Jack one time but he was a really nice guy even if I was on his turf.
You guys are more than welcome to hang out with me any time if you need some dog affection. If I come over and make a 'mistake' on your floor, you won't even have to clean it up!
Mr. Jack certainly was unique, even among us dogs.... ;o)

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I said I wasn't going to cry again! At least he didn't suffer and he got 15 years with you and Mrs. CDX. That's one lucky dog!

Hopefully there are no hats or wheelchairs in doggie heaven!

6:53 pm  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

I've only had my dog for a little over 3 years now and I will be beside myself when her time comes. They are part of your family from day 1, and I am truly sorry for your loss.

8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

charlie I am so sad for you and marsha. some people say sudden death is better than a long lingering illness but jack's was beyond sudden, it was nearly instantaneous! that didn't give you even a week to adjust to him being sick and possibly dying, which has to have been shocking. I didn't even recognize jack in the photos you posted because the last time I saw him he was in mexico, weighing about 20 lbs less, afflicted with everything from worms to fleas to some kind of mange. he saw you guys once and followed you around devotedly for a solid week. he obviously knew you were his ticket out of the mexicoto the good life. It is clear he thrived with you and marsha. if you think your stories of how you got him were impressive to dinner guests think of what he was telling the dogs he met at the park!

7:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home